Social and Veteran Assistance
Aunt BerthaAccess Aunt Bertha
- Emergency Services & Disaster Response
- Baby Supplies, Clothing, and other Goods
- Health Care Services
- Financial Assistance
- Adoption/Foster Care, Daytime and Residential Care, Animal Welfare
- Help Finding Work
- Legal Aid
VetNowAccess Vet Now
Are you a veteran or do you know a veteran? Are you currently serving in the military but preparing to move to civilian life? VetNow, available through your local public library, can help smooth the transition for you and your family. VetNow offers a wealth of resources for anyone transitioning from the military, these include:
- Live assistance navigating VA benefits and community resources, available from 2-10 p.m. seven days a week
- Live job coaching that can help you translate military skills and duties to the civilian job market, available from 2-11 p.m. seven days a week
- A Résumé Lab where you can get help “transitioning your résumé from military to civilian careers including formatting, key words, transferable skills, and more”
You can also submit questions to expert coaches and navigators outside the live help hours and get a response the next day. Additionally, a resources page lists useful links to national and Virginia resources for veterans and military families. VetNow also offers a wide selection of resources focused on jobs and careers.
Job tools available through VetNow include:
- Live résumé and interview coaching;
- Downloadable résumé templates;
- Tips and resources for interviewing;
- Job search resources;
- And a library of skill building lessons, videos, practice tests, and career credentialing information for over 140 specific careers.
VetNow is offered free to all Virginia residents through their local public library. You will need a public library card to access some of the resources.