The Appomattox Regional Library System will provide services and programs to the communities it serves through support of life-long learning, general information, and the exchange of ideas with effective use of traditional library resources and emerging technology.
About Our Library System
Library service began in the Hopewell - Prince George area in 1930 when Thomas B. Robertson established a Library Association for persons interested in forming a library. In 1931, the city formally took over operation of the library, with Mrs. Maude Langhorne Nelson as its first librarian. The John Randolph Library, as it was then known, was located in the State Planters Bank Building (now the United Virginia Bank). In 1957, the library was moved to the annex of the Municipal Building and the name was changed to honor the first librarian, Maude Langhorne Nelson.
In 1974, Prince George and Dinwiddie Counties joined the City of Hopewell to form the Appomattox Regional Library. The name of our library was chosen because the Appomattox River runs through each of the three localities which we serve.