Youth Services Assistant II
JOB TYPE: PT (20 hours per week)
POSTING DATE: October 4, 2018
CLOSING DATE: October 18, 2018
**NOTE** Please download the PDF, save the file, then start imputing your information, and then re-save. DO NOT edit in an internet browser window as the changes will not be saved.
Under the general supervision of the Youth Services Manager, the Youth Services Assistant II provides information services and reader’s advisory to children and young adults, and develops and conducts library and reading related programs for children in our service area of the city of Hopewell, and Prince George and Dinwiddie counties. While the position is based out of the Hopewell branch, the work schedule is varied, includes all branches, and will include working weekdays, evenings and weekends.
I. MAJOR POSITION RESPONSIBILITIES
- Helps plan and conducts storytimes for babies, toddlers and preschoolers.
- Helps plan and conducts programming for preschool children, school age children, and teens.
- Manages one or more projects in Children’s Department.
- Markets materials and services. Merchandises collections.
- Prepares and provides outreach programs to local child care centers.
- Prepares and provides outreach programs to local schools.
- Performs ongoing assignments of moderate to high difficulty.
- Maintains accurate circulation, attendance and patron statistics.
- Monitors and maintains collections.
II. Additional Job Duties
- Maintains positive relations with the public and staff.
- Promotes and maintains high standard of customer service.
- Performs job in keeping with the policies and procedures of the Appomattox Regional Library System.
III. Tools and Equipment Used:
- Desktop computer system
- Projection equipment
- Integrated Library System
- Copy machine, duplicator
- Ellison dies equipment
IV. Work Environment
- Works in normal heat and light conditions, with exposure to seasonal conditions.
- Travels to outreach locations on a rotating basis.
- Works directly and indirectly with general public.
V. REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Previous experience working with babies, children, and teens
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Excellent internal and external customer service skills.
- Strong knowledge of personal computers and the Internet as well as willing and able to acquire knowledge of advanced computer applications.
- Ability to analyze and perform and/or manage a wide variety of library projects.
- Ability to reach, bend and lift up to 20 lbs.
- Ability to push/pull library book carts.
VI. ACCEPTABLE EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
Requires Associate’s degree or any combination of education and experience equivalent to a high school diploma and a minimum of 4 years work related experience. Library experience strongly preferred. Experience working with children, computer literacy, and a Virginia driver’s license required.
For more information about the posting click here.