Appomattox Regional Library System supports early literacy through a variety of programs and resources, including story times, board and picture books, read-along kits, educational computer games, and more. Early literacy is an important time in the life of every young child when they begin to develop the necessary skills for reading. The acquisition of language and literacy skills begins at birth and continues at an exciting rate until children reach school age. Parents, guardians, daycare providers, teachers, and librarians have the opportunity to shape literacy experiences that lay the foundation for a child’s success in school and in life. Check out the websites below for fun kids games that build literacy skills as well as informational resources for adults.
FUN SITES FOR KIDS:
- PBS Kids - Games and videos based on PBS’s award-winning shows including Mister Rogers’ Neighborhood, Between the Lions, and Sid the Science Kid.
- Learn4Good - The Kids’ Area and Games (http://www.learn4good.com/games/index.htm) offer interactive learning play.
- FunBrain - Home of the popular Poptropica and other cool and entertaining games that teach math and reading skills.
- Literacy Center Education Network - With a kid-friendly interface and loads of fun and educational games, this is a must-see site.
- StoryPlace’s Pre-School Library - Choose from 15 themes such as Pets, Colors, Shapes, and Bath Time. Each theme features an online activity, digital story, and recommended reading list.
- Starfall - Learn the alphabet and begin reading with interactive games with animation and sound.
- FunGooms - Visit the FunGoom family and enjoy simple games, music, and stories for young children. Pre-schoolers can have fun learning mouse control with funny games.
- Smories - Choose from dozens of stories written and read by kids.
- GameGoo from Earobics - A kid-friendly site for fun, stick-with-you educational games that help develop early reading skills.
- Sesame Street - A longtime favorite of children and parents, Sesame Street’s website offers games, videos, math and reading activities, and more.
RESOURCES FOR PARENTS/GUARDIANS AND TEACHERS:
- Get Ready to Read! - Educators and parents will benefit from free screening tools, links to local resources, and kid-friendly skill-building activities.
- Reading Rockets - Reading Rockets creates and disseminates free, evidence-based information about reading from practitioners and researchers. Check out the free webcasts including how to establish an effective reading program, assessment, pre-reading skills, teaching English language learners, writing, and parent engagement.
- Reading Is Fundamental - Check out the literacy resources which include recommended learning activities, booklists for all reading levels, insightful and inspirational articles from teachers and parents, easy-to-read brochures, and multicultural materials.
What is Ready4K?
Developed by educational researchers, Ready4K is an evidence-based family engagement curriculum delivered via text messages.
Each week, parents and caregivers receive fun facts and easy tips on how to promote their children’s development by building on existing family routines – like pointing out letters on the cereal box at breakfast, counting the number of steps as you walk to the car or bus, or making feeling faces in the mirror after you brush your teeth. In a series of randomized controlled trials, this approach has been shown to increase child development by 2 to 3 months over the course of a school year.Access Ready 4K
The eBook Cricket Media Collection includes more than 400 titles in eBook format and is suitable for Children grades Pre-K through 8th. Cricket is an internationally recognized education company with award-winning print content for children, families, and educators. Cricket is focused on engaging children in a wide variety of subjects and disciplines helping them explore and expand their worlds from Ebsco.
Ebsco’s Explora is a user-friendly interface, designed to meet the unique needs of its users. Explora supports both student research and classroom instruction. Within Explora, or separately, you can search in age-appropriate and diverse databases such as Newspaper Source, Masterfile Complete, Read It!, various eBook collections, and Cricket Media. Explora is also available in formats in student-friendly formats, presenting age-appropriate materials from within all of Ebsco’s subscribed databases.
E-Book History Collection
This collection features more than 17,000 world history eBooks to meet the content needs of students in their research. Titles encompass a variety of subjects, including medieval history, history of music, history of science, the law in history, history of philosophy, art history, history of technology, history of business and economics, history of religion, military history, and more.
E-Book K-8 Collection
This collection features full-text eBook coverage that aligns with recreational and educational reading for the primary grade student.
Early World of Learning
World Book Online’s early childhood digital resource, is a child’s first encyclopedia, eBook, and introduction to core early concepts. With read-aloud across all functions, the 60 stories in “World of Reading” and “Trek’s Travels” tie learning together through videos, games, and printable activities. Twelve stories are available in both Spanish and English, and the worksheets also offer written instructions in Spanish. Classic songs, nursery rhymes, and fairy tales complete the program and are often included in the lesson plan for each story.
Gale In Context-Elementary
Gale In Context: Elementary delivers trusted, age-appropriate digital content. Through newspaper and magazine articles, videos, images, and graphics, elementary students can learn about everything from animals and outer space to famous artists and favorite athletes. The database is visual and intuitive, and will help them develop skills they will need for Middle School-and a lifetime of learning.