Available Monday-Friday, 2 pm to 10 pm. Connect with a LIVE, certified career coach to help with résumé writing, interviews, applications, searches, and identify development needs.
Peterson’s Career Prep
A full suite of tools in support of individuals seeking employment.
- Career Assessments: Personalized assessments focus on helping users explore and prioritize their interests, values, personality, and workplace preferences.
- VisualCV Resume Creator:* This powerful tool allows users to create visually interesting résumés and cover letters. Prebuilt templates provide guidance on how to organize résumé information, and sample résumés help to target résumés for different job types. Users can even create “websites” to share their résumés externally with prospective employers. Find more details above under the Résumé Writing tool header.
- College Recommendations: Users interested in pursuing secondary education can view a list of schools offering programs that align with their assessment results. There’s also an option to connect directly with admissions offices.
- Virtual Career Library:* Includes helpful articles and tips focused on writing résumés and cover letters, networking, and interviewing. Content is written in a friendly, conversational tone. Bonus worksheets and workbooks can be downloaded for patrons who want to dig deeper into career exploration or their assessment results.
- Job Search: Provided by Indeed.com, job listings are updated daily, and users can filter the listings to view jobs that they might be best suited for based on their assessment results.
- Worksheets: New supplemental tools, including articles, worksheets, and workbooks, help users interpret their assessment results and prepare for entering the workforce.
- Occupational Database: Now features a larger career library and more targeted search tools. Users can search for information on careers or industries of interest, view recommended careers based on their assessment results, or match military experience to new career paths.
- Career Overviews: Detailed job overviews now include videos, salary projections, job outlook, and more.
- LinkedIn (which also offers online resumes)
- U.S. Jobs and USAJobs (for government opportunities)
- Idealist (for nonprofit and volunteer opportunities)
- The Ladders,
- Virginia Workforce Connection: Online Learning Resources
Although librarians often do not have time to sit down with a patron for extended amounts of time, we can help you find some of these websites and get you started using them. You may also consider visiting the Virginia Employment Commission in Petersburg, as they are able to spend more time with job seekers one-on-one to find and apply for jobs.