Appomattox Regional Library System supports early literacy through a variety of programs and resources, including story times, board and picture books, read-along kits, educational computer games, and more. Early literacy is an important time in the life of every young child when they begin to develop necessary skills for reading. The acquisition of language and literacy skills begins at birth and continues at an exciting rate until children reach school age. Parents, guardians, daycare providers, teachers, and librarians have the opportunity to shape literacy experiences that lay the foundation for a child’s success in school and in life. Check out the websites below for fun kids games that build literacy skills as well as informational resources for adults.
Fun Sites for Kids:
- PBS Kids – Games and videos based on PBS’s award-winning shows including Mister Rogers’ Neighborhood, Between the Lions, and Sid the Science Kid.
- Learn4Good – The Kids’ Area and Games (http://www.learn4good.com/games/index.htm) offer interactive learning play.
- FunBrain – Home of the popular Poptropica and other cool and entertaining games that teach math and reading skills.
- Literacy Center Education Network – With a kid-friendly interface and loads of fun and educational games, this is a must-see site.
- StoryPlace’s Pre-School Library – Choose from 15 themes such as Pets, Colors, Shapes, and Bath Time. Each theme features an online activity, digital story, and recommended reading list.
- Starfall – Learn the alphabet and begin reading with interactive games with animation and sound.
- FunGooms – Visit the FunGoom family and enjoy simple games, music and stories for young children. Pre-schoolers can have fun learning mouse control with the funny games.
- Smories – Choose from dozens of stories written and read by kids.
- GameGoo from Earobics – A kid-friendly site for fun, stick-with-you educational games that help develop early reading skills.
- Sesame Street – A longtime favorite of children and parents, Sesame Street’s website offers games, videos, math and reading activities, and more.
- Alphabet Action, and Bembo’s Zoo– The ABC’s come to life with shapes, colors and sounds on these entertaining and educational websites.
Resources for Parents/Guardians and Teachers:
- Get Ready to Read! – Educators and parents will benefit from free screening tools, links to local resources, and kid-friendly skill-building activities.
- Reading Rockets – Reading Rockets creates and disseminates free, evidence-based information about reading from practitioners and researchers. Check out the free webcasts including how establish an effective reading program, assessment, pre-reading skills, teaching English language learners, writing, and parent engagement.
- Reading Is Fundamental – Check out the literacy resources which include recommended learning activities, booklists for all reading levels, insightful and inspirational articles from teachers and parents, easy-to-read brochures, and multicultural materials.